Wednesday, March 15, 2006

alive again - with ubuntu

wrote this last night....
At last the good things are back in my life. my mobile and system are fucntional again. the best thing is that I have finally convinced my sister to use linux. I've been trying this for a pretty long time and finally I gave up and removed FC3 from my system and used that extra space to copy some movies that I borrowed from jenny. And just 2 days after I did this my sister suddenly wanted to be comfortable with linux, due to some professional requirements.
It was hard to get those cds suddenly. At iiit I used to install from network and now as there was no such option I started searching for those FC3 cds. Finally I got FC4 from vamsee and when I went home and tried, it said first cd is corrupted, you cannot continue installation. After cursing vamsee till my heart felt light, I asked nalli to get me ubuntu cds which people have been getting for free by post. This marketing must have really helped ubuntu a lot. I finally got those free cds and after trying out the live-cd version, I intalled ubuntu. Now I had to wait for another 2 days as I didnt have net connection yet. The airtel guy said that he is not sure if net works in linux as there could be drivers problem if I use a modem. Now I wasnt sure if I could get it working properly in linux. Inspite of working with broadband related products for more than half a year, I didnt know what kind of problems I could possibly face. The last time I used sify with FC3, there were no issues at all as the guy assured me that it would work. I felt lucky for having installed a boot loader and not removed the other OS directly.
After searching in net for a while I finally found out how to use airtel/bharati/touchnet broadband from linux. All I had to do was
$pppoeconf
and after a series of 'next'and 'ok', it asked for the login and password. the next thing I did was open the browser and "htpp://www.google.co.in" and it worked!!. I got used to check if the net is working by going to google as many ppl normally do. I didnt expect it to work for the first time and it did. to login/logoff I have to use pon dsl-provider/poff. I then searched for mp3 in ubuntu :) My sister would kill me if it didnt play mp3 in an hour.
Now all I had to do was
$apt-get install gstreamer0.8-mad
and the rhythm box started playing mp3.

I'm not one of those who belive OS is a religion, actually it hardly makes any difference to me what distribution of linux I am using. I'm happy that after wearing a T-shirt that says "Geek by nature, Linux by choice" for almost 2 years, I've now moved back to linux. "Better late than never".

Things to do:
-> go for gnome 2.14 this weekend and wait for the next kde(3.4/4) release.
-> remove the 'other' OS and make space for more multimedia
-> Upgrade the system to a 64-bit, though I'm not sure what difference it's gonna make apart from creating problems.
-> the first thing to do is to go online and get back to orkut, blog and friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pratap said...

Rey voors convince them to use windows rey... so that devs like me will have some more money for the days to come.

10:46 PM  
Blogger pradeep said...

go search an alternative now other than working for that OS. or learn driving properly. Gates is a good businessman. One fne day he'll stop making OS and make you all drive cabs...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Girish said...

k, read, gg.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Gopi Krishna said...

now u know, FREE is not that bad after all :) Ubuntu at ur rescue..

Keep blogging mama.

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home